.

Thursday, March 28, 2019

Seasons Of A Mans Life Essay -- essays research papers

Daniel J. Levinson wrote The Seasons of A Mans Life.Mr. Levinson conducted his research for the retain in the late 1960s.At that clipping he was a Professor of Psychology in the Depart custodyt of Psychiatry of the Yale University shoal of Medicine, Director of Psychology in the Connecticut Mental Health magnetic core and Director of the Research Unit for Social Psychology and Psychiatry.Early in the book, Mr. Levinson states his reasons for engaging in theresearch of male adult development and for in the end writing thebook. "The choice of topic reflected a personal concern at 46, I wanted to analyse the transition into middle age in order to understand what I had been going through with(predicate) myself. Over the front ten years of my life had changed incrucial ways I had developed in a wiz I could not articulate. The studywould cast light on my own experience and, I hoped, work to an understanding of adult development in general."     The bo ok is fattenly somewhat Levinsons theory of male adult development. Levinson acquired his research by interviewing 40 men between the ages of 35 and 45 from four different occupational groups. by means of his interviews, Levinson believed that all males pass through aseries of represents, all(prenominal) of which presents a different problem to be solved.The first stage is known as the early adult transition (ages 17-22). The problem is to develop a sense of independence by separating from ones family and trying out different lifestyles. This is the stage where hopes and dreams argon formulated.     The next stage is entering the adult world (ages 22-28). The problemat this stage is to explore and obtain the many adult roles that are infallible tobe happy and successful in ones career and relationships. A dance band of priorities begin to form.     The age-thirty transition (ages 28-33) happens next. In this stage theman establishes his role in society, builds a nest, and pursues more long-range plans and goals. His problem may be evaluating primitively career choicesand goals.     Immediately following the age-thirty transition is the settling downstage (ages 33-40). The problem here is to develop a sense of success in themajor areas of ones life, primarily ones career and relationships. ... ...th previous decisions, such as by becoming morecommitted to ones family or career.     I feel that the book was written very well. It went in-depth inmapping out the stages and the events in each one of the stages. I couldrelate to some but most I could not since Levinson limited his research toonly males. I am a female and only 22 so I have provided barely entered into the early adult era. Looking at older males nigh me I can see some of what Levinson has stated to be true, however, I just dont believe that every maleis going to go through the life stages just as he says. I think that for the time when this book was written, Levinson probably did a great job in describing the stages. virtually of the men that he interviewed were born before and duringthe Depression. What was true for the men that were interviewed may notbe true for todays 40-year-olds.     By reading this book I can atbest say that I have a more complete understanding of male adult development.Reference     Levinson, D. J. (1977). The Seasons of a Mans Life. Ballantine Books.

No comments:

Post a Comment